Following a recent trip to Cumbria I have been inspired by sheep to share my favourite Shepherd’s Pie. E
Meal for 2-3
1 onion, sliced
225g minced lamb
1 carrot, sliced
1 tbs flour
80g mushrooms, sliced
150ml stock (vegetable or meat)
1 tsp mixed herbs
1 tbs tomato puree
650g potatoes, cut into chunks
1 dsp milk
- Saute the onion and minced lamb over a medium heat for 5 minutes or until mince is browned.
- Add the carrot and mushrooms and cook for 5 minutes.
- Stir in the flour to thicken and add the stock, tomato puree and herbs.
- Bring to the boil then simmer for 30 minutes, stir occasionally.
- Preheat the oven 200C/ fan 180C/ gas mark 6.
- Cook the potatoes in boiling water for 15 minutes. Drain and mash with milk and pepper.
- Place the minced meat mixture in an ovenproof dish and spoon the mashed potato over the top. Smooth the top and decorate by making a crisscross pattern with a fork.
- Bake in the oven for 25 minutes until the top is golden brown.
- Serve immediately with green vegetables.
This is a comforting Autumn dish for all ages. You could also try a handful of peas instead of carrots. The minced lamb could be replaced by soya mince if you prefer a vegetarian version.