A fancier cottage pie, with chunks of steak rather than mince. This is definitely one that’s easy to scale up for a family dinner and my kind of comfort food for a wintry evening. G.
Meal for one
100g or 1 portion beef braising steak
1 baking potato
1 carrot, chopped
1 onion, chopped
1 tsp gravy powder
2 tsp cornflour
splash red wine
small bunch parsley, roughly chopped
lamb stock cube
- Boil the potatoes and mash with a little butter and the parsley.
- Cut the beef into bite-sized chunks and fry off with the carrots and onions in a little olive oil, then crumble in the stock cube.
- Add a splash of red wine and about 100ml water and simmer.
- Mix the gravy powder and cornflour with a little water and pour a little at a time into the beef mixture, whilst stirring, until it has thickened into gravy.
- Pour the beef mixture into an ovenproof dish and top with the mashed potato.
- Put the pie into the oven for about 15-20mins until the top is starting to brown.
Try topping with cheesy mash for more indulgence.